According to a certain version of its history, Tinos Island was named after its first settler, Tinos. In ancient times it was called "Ofiousa" or "Hydrousa", due to the large amount of snakes and the abundance of running water all around the island.
The ancient god Poseidon was its patron, while on the highest mountain of the island Tsiknias, was supposed to be the home of Eolos, the god of winds. When the island belonged to the Athenians the Pisistratio Aqueduct was constructed and supplied the city until 1934.
From 1207 until 1715 the Venetians conquered Tinos a fact that explains the existence of many Catholics on the island. In 1715 it was occupied by the Turks and took part in the revolution of 1821 against them from the very start. On the 30th of January 1823 the icon of Virgin Mary was found and this incident was considered a holy bless for the rebellious nation.
Many fighters devoted their victories against the tyrants to its grace. In the 15th of August 1940 the torpedo that ruined the ship Elli in the harbor of Tinos signals the war with Italy and connects again Tinos to the history of the Greek Nation.