Antiparos Island
  Greek Language



Antiparos Island, Cyclades Islands, GreeceThe first inhabitants of Antiparos in historic times were Phoenicians from Sidon, who were succeeded by various conquerors. During antiquity, Antiparos was known as Oliaros, and its historical course is mostly connected with that of Paros of which formed an integral part.

Antiparos is first mentioned by its present name in the 13th century A.D. although the name is ancient: according to mythology, Antiparos was one of the 50 sons of Aegyptos, and was murdered along with 48 of his brothers by his wife Critomethea, one of the 50 Danaides.

During Byzantine times and down to the early 13th century and until the Greek war of Independence in 1821, the island suffered a lot from pirates coming from Algeria, Crete, Kefalonia and other places.

In 1537 Antiparos and the rest of the Cyclades falls to the hands of the Ottomans and the pirate Barbarossa and through all of that dark period the island suffered greatly , both by the conquerors' and the pirates' raids.

The Antiparians were among the first in the Cyclades to take part in the war of independence. The island was officially incorporated in the Greek state in 1832. During World War II, Antiparos took active part in the resistance movement against the Germans and was used as a secret base of the Allies